Saturday, February 10, 2007

Made in China!!

China not only floods our markets with all the low cost yet some times very useful and durable products, but also has been a favorite among the foodies.

Yes, I am talking Chinese food people!! Many of us just love Chinese food, some get it home delivered as their staple diet, some indulge in it each time they can and some like me experiment with each possible dish in vegetarian Chinese!

I know it can sound funny, but Japan and China do have a lot of variety for even vegetarians. Many types of vegetables in different sauces and my favorite tofu.

Did u know that Japanese call it tofu and in China it’s called Doufu? I dint know that! But it is of Chinese origin for sure! It’s made by coagulating soymilk, and the curd is cut into big square pieces! It’s is like cheese from curd, quite confusing, eh?

Now went to a restaurant called Royal Gulf Chinese, I went to the one in Fahaheel (my local area) and though the exterior were not very promising, the interiors were really very exotic! As if we were in china, eating at a local’s restaurant!! The food prices are on the upper end, probably due to high quality in service and off course food.

BTW, as per the Chinese astrology, I am a monkey, so no wonder u can see me jumping all over the place! In many cases, though I don’t believe in Zodiacs, these Chinese thing actually works out to be true,… astrology in china dates back long long years and so we cant negates its precision.

Ok coming back to food, I also went to another Chinese restaurant in Holiday Inn called the Tang Chao, very authentic ambiance and extremely reasonably priced. I ordered the same dishes in both places, and guess which one would I have preferred?

Both the restaurants gave excellent customized vegetarian menus and very good service, but there was a very important factor, very dear to Chinese, that was missing in one of them, it’s the Chinese way of decking cutlery and linen.. I know many of you would say, well that don’t matter, but in the true Chinese spirit it does!

Gulf Royal Chinese did not appeal to me when it came to both as other than the ambiance I could not feel any China around, though I would still rate its food as comparatively superior to Tang Chao. Tang Chao on the other hand not only had the ambiance but the music that filled your ears took you to a small Chinese village, rice plantations and lots of children playing around! And the smells were that of a Chinese household, very woody and warm.

It made all the difference. Food is not always everything, i guess!

What magnetizes you?

3 comments:

Shahi said...

Thats a really hard question.. I don't know what magnitizes me or attracts me to a certain restaurant, but I like a chilled out atmosphere, I like unique places, I'm sick and tired of the same type of restaurants and same type of atmosphere in Kuwait! I like change! I get bored so easily, I like a band, good food, relaxed environment, good service. What do you suggest?
And by the way, I love general tao chicken or they'd call it sweet and sour! very yummy, or fried noodles with soya sauce! I should be hitting one of the asian restaurants very soon (maybe when I get paid)

P.S What animal in chinese astrology am I???

shashank kumar said...

Hey, my intention here is not to answer your question but to comment on a general human psychology related to food and restaurants. The choice of food varieties has become so large these days that when you pick up a menu, you always find yourself confused as to what you should order.
Once you have zeroed in on something and placed the order, you always get the feeling that the item which you initially zeroed upon but later changed was definitely better.

My advise, select, order, eat well, enjoy and no second thoughts....try new stuff...keep your taste buds and stomach happy...

.S. said...

see i know where is this comment coming from, from a man's stomach!! men love food and live in the TV and food proximity!! ;-P

and as they say the grass is always greener on the other side, so is with the menu.. I very well so with your "eat well and enjoy" funda, as its all about good living!

Powered By Blogger